Orienthelper, a nonprofit organization based in Germany, specialized in educational projects and training measures for young people in Lebanon and Syria recently requested consultancy services for a feasibility. Including a feasibility study as part of the project proposal is now a new requirement for projects to be co-financed by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation (BMZ).
The conflict in Syria in 2011 has resulted in a high number of refugees from Syria and created a significant increase in the demand for special education services as there are no public schools or institutions in northern Lebanon with the capacity to take care of children with disabilities. In fact, an article from the International Rescue Committee from 2018 noted that 84% of Syrian children with disabilities do not go to school. In response to this crisis, Orienthelfer eV concentrates on providing aid to Syria and neighbouring countries, with a special focus on Lebanon as the main host country for Syrian refugees.
Orienthelfer e.V. Parters with Wahat Al-Farah in Lebanon
The German NGO Orienthelfer e.V. has recently partnered with the Lebanese association Wahat Al-Farah (WAF) to implement the project "capacity strengthening of educational structures for Lebanese and refugee children with special needs project in North Lebanon" for the years 2021-2024. The special school for children with disabilities and Autisim of WAF is currently located in a regular school building, which is not sufficiently accessible nor adapted to their special needs, and which thus limits the educational services.
With the influx of more Syrian refugees into Lebanon, the demand for schools offering services for special needs students has risen. As such, this project is meant to improve access to education for children with mental disabilities and autism and prepare them for a self-reliance through careful support services and education. Project activities include:
- The construction of a school building right next to the existing school building to provide for roughly 100 children from Lebanon and Syria. The school building should be adapted to the special needs of children with intellectual disabilities and autism.
- Capacity building activities to strengthen the competences of teachers and psychosocial professionals and other institutions in new technologies and pedagogical methods.
- Extending the portfolio of training with new pedagogical techniques and support approaches and increasing the number of training places for students in the field of education and psychosocial support of children with intellectual disabilities and autism
- Launching awareness raising activities to inform parents of children with special needs and the people of the surrounding communities about
- The importance of education and about support programs
- Eliminating discrimination, stigma, and prejudice against people with intellectual disabilities
Latest Requirement of Feasibility Studies for Projects Co-Financed by the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation
In the newest development, in order to secure funding from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), it is now required to conduct a project feasibility study. Orienthelfer eV is now looking for a consulting firm to conduct a feasibility study to be added as an annex to the project's proposal.
The required feasibility study expands the the scope of baseline studies to enhance the outcomes of the designed project as early as possible in the project life cycle. It will analyze to what extent the chosen approach can contribute to solving the problem among the target groups and other stakeholder. The feasibility study include the following tasks:
- Assess the feasibility of the planned project in terms of relevance, coherence, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability
- Assess the (draft) project proposal and log frame
- Define the prerequisites, opportunities, and risks anticipated during the delivery of project's activities
- Provides baseline information at all relevant levels (micro, meso, macro) and include essential, project-relevant data on the baseline situation, target groups and stakeholders analysis.
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation plan to monitor results and impacts
- Assess capacity and competency of chosen implementing project partner (local partner organization)
- Give concrete recommendations for measures and adjustments of the specific project concept including impact matrix