Turkey continues to host the largest refugee population in the world. In 2021, the number of Syrians registered under temporary protection has been reached as 3.7 million. Due to the protracted nature of the situation, Syrians under temporary protection face high levels of economic insecurity.
Since Syrians in Turkey are permitted to work in most employment sectors, they have been contributing tremendously to the country’s economy. A study by the Economic Policy Research Foundation of Turkey (EBRD) shows that Syrian entrepreneurs provide a living for 7% of the Syrians in Turkey. Moreover, Syrians in Turkey established more than 15,000 companies that employ an average of 7 people per company, 60% of whom are Syrians.
Qatar Charity Support for Start-Ups Project
In this background, Qatar Charity is implementing a project titled “Economic empowerment and Jobs creation for Refugees and Host Communities in Turkey” through generous financial support of Qatar Fund for Development (QFFD) and being managed and technically led by SPARK.
Entrepreneurs will be supported through capacity-building activities and better access to finance and markets, this will lead to jobs creation in supported businesses.
Activities to be conducted
- Organization of boot camps for 250 aspiring entrepreneurs. The camp will enable the entrepreneurs to increase their creativity and focus on developing their business ideas. The camp is aimed at preparing the teams for the Business Plan Training Program. It will consist of.
- Understand Basic Business terminology,
- Creating a Business Model,
- Receive Basic Investor Presentation training.
- Training on innovative business solutions will be provided to selected 150 aspiring entrepreneurs.
- The succeeded 110 entrepreneurs in innovative business solutions training will be also provided with Business Plan Training for the advanced skills to develop their businesses. They will benefit the following from the Business Plan coaching: Conducting a coaching program linking to Venture Capital funding sources (Specify here what kind of funding sources) for 110 start-ups.
- Need Analyze of Start ups
- Business Plan development
- How to present and pitch to Investors
- Organizing competitions and pitching activities for 110 start-ups.
- Seed funding for 72 start-ups and identification of new market opportunities for 72 start-ups.
A Note About Qatar Charity
Qatar Charity is an international non-governmental organization that has been working in the field of development and humanitarian aid since 1992 with the aim of efficiently addressing the most important humanitarian and development challenges faced by poor and needy peoples across the world.
At the forefront of these priorities is helping children and victims of crises and disasters through development projects and alms giving.